Environmental Affairs Director
Please send a letter of introduction
Pennsylvania Farm Bureau
P.O. Box 8736
Camp Hill, PA 17001-8736
Employment inquiries may be made with
Pennsylvania Farm Bureau at any time.
TITLE: Environmental Affairs Director
DIVISION: Government Affairs and Communications
REPORTS TO: Manager, Government Affairs and Communications
JOB SUMMARY: Analyze current and proposed state and federal legislation, regulations, and other programs related to water quality and other environmental areas that potentially impact agricultural production and operation while working to ensure current and proposed state and federal legislation are practicable to the agriculture industry. This is an exempt, salaried position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in review and analysis of current statutes and regulation, proposed legislation, proposed amendments to legislation, proposed regulatory changes, development of or changes to existing governmental or public policies and programs, and other government action, and evaluate impacts on agriculture and individual farming operations related to environmental issues.
- Draft and/or review testimony to be presented in support of positions advocated by PFB before legislative and regulatory bodies; and draft/review letters, comments and recommendations in response to current and proposed legislation and regulations related to environmental issues.
- Conduct research to support PFB staff on environmental issues.
- Participate and provide advocacy in meetings and public events held to consider and develop environmental regulations and/or public policies and administrative actions that may potentially impact agricultural production and operation, remaining consistent with PFB policy.
- Provide guidance and assistance to county farm bureaus in their engagement of advocacy on matters pertaining to formulation or administration of local environmental ordinances, policies and programs whose purpose or effect would substantially affect agricultural production and operation, remaining consistent with PFB policy.
- A working knowledge of state legislative, regulatory and political processes
- Practical knowledge and understanding of agricultural production practices commonly performed on Pennsylvania farms and potential effects of proper and improper management of production practices on soil, water, atmosphere and other environmental conditions
- Sufficient knowledge and understanding of commonly accepted principles of agronomy and related sciences associated with economically viable and environmentally effective agricultural production and land management practices
- Sufficient knowledge and working experience with existing water quality, air quality and other regulatory and industry-driven environmental standards that apply to agricultural operations and agricultural production practices
- Ability to read and comprehend technical, regulatory and other published documents that prescribe or propose standards that apply to agricultural operations and provide meaningful analysis of impacts on agricultural production practices.
- Ability to develop and implement effective political strategies in support of PFB policy in response to existing and proposed changes in standards and criteria applicable to agricultural operations.
- Willingness and ability to learn a wide array of subjects covered under areas of responsibility
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects
- Self-motivated with organizational, negotiating and interpersonal skills
- Written and verbal communication skills; ability to make effective presentations to groups
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid PA Driver’s License
- Ability to lift/carry up to 30 lbs.
- Working during non-traditional office hours will at times be required
Note: This job description is intended to describe the major functions and characteristics of this job. It is not intended to describe all functions or responsibilities, which may be assigned to the incumbent employee. It is always within the employer’s right to add to, delete from, or further modify this job description at any time. This document is not to be construed as an employment contract of any type. EOE.